You can make a map even more exciting by customizing maps with interactive controls. This is why many people have switched to maps with API controls over static maps when they need extra information.
Unlike static maps, customized API maps come with many features and give you all the information you need. For example, a map with an API feature will help you determine the total time you need for a journey depending on the mode of transport.
If you are on a trip to a foreign country, you can use Google Maps API to mark specific places you would like to visit or have visited. You can share these customized maps with your friends or family, and you can also share the routes of different events and places.
Using Google Maps API for better precision
You can create customized maps, add markers, pinpoints, or directions and share them with Google My Maps.
You can start a project and create your API from “Enable API.”
Preparing to create a customized API map
Apps like Google Maps are among the many uses of API where customization and a user-friendly interface is the key aim. The Internet offers many step-by-step guides to coding and developing websites to be confident in what you create.
Create custom Google Maps for your website
Creating a custom google map allows you to choose any location already available on the map of the earth. You are free to add markers, create custom icons, and add pop-up overlays and details with different shapes to the existing maps.
Using Google maps on websites will give a more reliable outlook as it has all the information visitors may need. You will need a skilled computer coder to develop just the correct map.
Always consider the necessary information your website visitors might have in mind and put up all the directions on your map. This way, you have the upper hand in attracting more traffic to your website and gaining a wider audience.
How to create custom Google Maps?
- Go to the Google Maps website from any web browser where an existing google account is available. If you don’t have a google account, remember to make one before creating your map.
- After you sign in, choose “Your Places” from the menu icon on the top left of your home page.
- Now select the “Create Map” from the “Maps” tab under the “Your Places” option.
- Select the arrow option next to the “Base Map” option and customize the “Base Map” layers and the map theme according to you.
- Under the “Untitled map” option, give it a title under MAP TITLE under the “Untitled map” option.
- And mention the description of the map. Your maps can be for personal or business purposes. Now click “Save” to save your work.
- Choose a preferred location from the “Base Map” layer and start adding different components to your custom Map in Google Maps, such as markers.
- Now, you can choose from which point you will start the journey and by what method you would travel.
- Now, draw the line or shape of your route and double click when you reach your destination on the map. This method creates a custom direction. To do this, choose the “Add Directions” option from the menu bar.
- You can add markers in a specific location of the route. If there are any stops or unique places you have visited, you can add a tag and describe them.
- Do you want to highlight any critical place on your map? You can do so by using the “Add line or shape” option under the “Draw a Line” option in the menu bar.
Your Browsers should be able to understand it and display it in “standard mode.” However, if your browser does not understand it, it will be displayed in “quirks mode.”
Async asynchronously downloads and executes the script. Once over, the callback parameter will perform the function specified for it.
After you have saved your work and want to see your map on the webpage, you have to create a spot for it.
In the DOM (document object model), create a div and obtain a reference to this element.
Adjust the dimensions of your map on the
<div> based on the screen size and padding of the browser.
Viewing your custom Google Maps
After you have saved your custom Google Map, you can now access it whenever you want to from the Menu>Your Places>Maps or from the google map on the website.
To access the google map on a website, sign in from your Google account, choose the “Owned” tab and make your google maps custom available.
Sharing custom Google Maps
You can share your custom maps on different social media platforms from the “Share Map” option. Or share it directly with others from the “Share” button under the “Owned” tab.
Once you are all set to create your customized map, nothing can stop you from attracting direction-needing persons from around the globe.